How to Apply
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) – The Research University in the Helmholtz Association creates and imparts knowledge for the society and the environment. It is our goal to make significant contributions to mastering the global challenges of mankind in the fields of energy, mobility, and information. For this, over 9000 employees of KIT cooperate in a broad range of disciplines in research, academic education, and innovation.
We are offering a
PhD Position (f, m, d) in Computer Science, Engineering and Business
with a Focus on Future Energy Systems
The design of future energy systems which can cope with fluctuating supply and flexible demand is an important concern of our society. As a Ph.D. student in computer science, economics or law, would you like the opportunity to not only have results that advance the state-of-the-art in your field and have good publications at selective venues, but also seriously engage in interactions with other disciplines, to ensure that your results really give way to better energy systems? As a Ph.D. student in engineering, would you like to not only work on the design of energy systems that are efficient, flexible, resilient and user-friendly, but also do so together with individuals from the above disciplines, using highly innovative methods?
If so, please read on: The German National Research Foundation (DFG) approved the funding of a Research Training Group 'Energy Status Data – Informatics Methods for its Collection, Analysis, and Exploitation' at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT). Important prerequisites are interest in scientific work and a Master or Diploma degree in one of the above disciplines or in a related one, e.g., mathematics, physics, business informatics, industrial engineering and management. Successful candidates should demonstrate academic excellence and rigor as well as curiosity.
- a lot of free space for scientific development,
- excellent personal guidance and support,
- fascinating research topics with a lot of societal relevance,
- an open-minded and highly collaborative research environment
- an international, interdisciplinary research surrounding with numerous occasions for cooperation,
- opportunities for personal growth and further training leveraging the rich infrastructure at KIT, an institution that is both a university and a large-scale research facility,
- an excellent living environment in an attractive, vibrant city in one of the most beautiful regions in Germany,
- a salary that covers the living expenses in Germany well (TV-L 13), together with free university registration.
Formally, your application must at least consist of a statement of motivation, university transcripts including grades and your CV.
Please observe the following points:
- Your statement of motivation must be tailored to the Research Training Group. Please do not send us text which is generic.
- Please indicate in your application which professors who participate in the Research Training Group you would like to work with closely. See the list of KIT professors running the Research Training Group for further information. Please do provide a reasonable selection; listing almost all professors will make your application less convincing!
- Please send everything as one pdf file, no larger than 5 MB. The naming of your file should follow the following convention:<yourLastname>_<yourFirstname>_esd-apply.pdf
Please email your application to Prof. Klemens Böhm, using the email address apply∂energystatusdata.kit.edu.
We prefer to balance the number of employees (f/m/d). Therefore, we kindly ask female applicants to apply for this job.
Recognized severely disabled persons will be preferred if they are equally qualified.
For more information, please visit: www.kit.edu